Part the first….almost there.


It’s hard to describe my emotions right now.

It’s fair to say that in the last 24 hours I’ve had a full spectrum to process.

From mild panic/anger when our van driver failed to arrive at the appointed hour or answer his mobile phone to the euphoria of him arriving with 15 minutes to spare before we handed back the house keys, and still managing to get the van packed in time.

The house inspection was passed with flying colours thanks to the sterling efforts of JJ, who graciously used her ‘holiday’ to help us move house (again), and MME W who pitched in with some last minute scrubbing and mopping in addition to her translation duties.

And then the goodbyes began. First to my slightly mad neighbour and her out of control dog ( I will not miss the all night barking ), then to a lady in the village who I met very recently but who I am convinced would have become a very dear friend had we been staying. A little more emotionally fraught was a trip to the bar to say au revoir to the lovely patrons Mr and Mrs H. They have played a significant part in my life for the last 5 years, and I will genuinely miss them both.

But of course it is the last goodbyes that are the hardest.

Spending the last few days with the W family has been a joy for both myself and small person. Enjoying wonderful meals and perfect company the occasional evening game of badminton in the garden. It’s nice to know that I haven’t lost my touch 27 years on from the inter- house school badminton competition. I would just like to take a moment here to explain to Mrs W that even though we were in danger of being struck by lightning and your youngest child was crying her heart out for you, leaving the field of play in the middle of a match constitutes a forfeit. Which means that technically I won that little game of ours.

The absence of the 3 small people of the house will leave a huge hole in Moo’s life that will be hard to fill. The absence of the 2 large people of the house will leave a hole in mine. Mrs W and I may have taken a little walk before we left, but what happened in Saint Pierre stays in Saint Pierre. Suffice to say it was emotional.

And so we squeezed ourselves into JJ’s car around our luggage and set off for a night-time drive to Dieppe and the ferry that would take us to the start of the new chapter.

Small person is, hopefully, asleep in a ferry lounge on the top deck with JJ, And here in the cafe I sit, more physically and emotionally tired than I have been for a long time, still trying to process the last few days and all that they have thrown at us, and contemplate what the next few months will bring.

This will help 🙂


A Bientôt


Author: hillywillyworld

Living as an 'ex-pat' in Thailand with my daughter Moo and sometimes my Hubby too (when he is not bringing home the bacon from Macau). Sometimes it's funny. Sometimes it's tough. Sometimes it's confusing. Most of the time it's just...random. Join me as I struggle and giggle my way through this thing called life.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s